Why a locked down Metro/WinRT model makes such a big difference to security

Secunia is reporting that 78% of end-point (individual computers for all those not in the security business) vulnerabilities are attributable to third-party software.  That’s everything from browser plug-ins like Flash and Java, to Adobe Reader, to Quicken or any other desktop application you install.  While it would be foolish to believe that a pure Windows 8 Metro environment, including disallowing browser plug-ins, can eliminate all vulnerabilities it can eliminate much of that 78%.  Add on other security changes in Windows 8 that help reduce or mitigate the remaining 22% and you can see how Windows 8 Metro is a game changer for PC security.

On the other hand, in a Windows 8 environment that includes browser plug-ins and multiple third-party desktop applications the best Microsoft can do is attack the 22%.  The 78% that Adobe, Oracle, and everyone else is responsible for will remain an issue.

“Ask not why you must use a constrained app model for your apps, Ask why I should put my personal or organizational security at risk by installing your desktop application.”

About these ads
This entry was posted in Computer and Internet, Microsoft, Security, Windows and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Why a locked down Metro/WinRT model makes such a big difference to security

  1. Joe says:

    It’s true, this is one of the areas where the consumerism of IT aligns with the costs of IT operations. Consumers don’t want to spend time patching, fixing and guarding against malware and IT departments don’t want to spend money on it. A locked down environment would also be a pre-condition for most company’s BYOD policies, I would imagine.

  2. Pingback: Windows is dead. Long live Windows. « Windows Renaissance – Comments on Windows 8

  3. Pingback: Windows is dead. Long live Windows. « Win8Back

Comments are closed.